Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Market Time: Vietnam

I love markets--in SE Asian countries they are the heart of the communities and one of the first places I head when I arrive in a new town. I came found the most interesting offerings yet in Vietnam, animal lovers and those easily made queasy be forewarned . 

Highlands veg offering

I'm still baffled how this works--it's the norm to have a bunch of stands in a row all selling EXACTLY the same thing  


Passion Fruit

They love candied fruit

Typical dry-goods section 

Fish, snails, crabs and clams


Despite the complete lack of refrigeration at open air markets you'll find fish from the ocean hundreds of kilometers inland  

The Vietnamese are masterful catnapers  

Quail Eggs

No ones could tell me what the treatment was on these eggs 

Free-Range Chickens

Medicinal Black Chicken

Offal good

 Dog paw anyone?

Congealed blood--this stuff once showed up in my pho from a street cart, it actually not bad if you don't think about it.  

And probably the weirdest thing I came across--a cow's utter, yum!



     

1 comment:

  1. The Vietnamese market is abundant of foreign trinkets and peculiar eccentricities, I am so glad that you are so open-minded towards a completely new culture! It is great to see your photographs and musings. I hope that you continue to write! I see from your profile that you come from Occidental! Did you go to Occidental? If you have the chance to, pay a visit to Little Saigon in LA. They have some VERY authentic Vietnamese cuisine and markets. It is like being in Vietnam all over again! I myself am a Bates College student (also an LAC!) and looking over your travel blog, I feel compelled to travel next summer with some friends!

    ReplyDelete