Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Strange Fruit—The Durian


There is a certain mystique to this odd fruit, you either love it or you hate it. Those that love it get a bit of a crazed look in their eyes at the mention of its name, usually accompanied by a big grin sliding across their face. Maybe it’s the patients the fruit require since you don’t pick durian, they have to offer themselves in ripeness by falling from the tree. And each tree doesn’t produce that many fruit so there is a lot of looking up in anticipation. I’m told that during their season people rise at first light to beat others to newly dropped fruit and disputes between landowners and durian snatchers are common. It’s said that people kill for Durian.

Sabina showing me how its done

The size of an oblong volleyball, Durian’s spine covered outer shell guards five inner chambers each containing three or four large flesh caked seeds. Making up only a small portion of total package it is this fibrous pudding-like seed coating that the consumer is after. The pungent flavor wasn’t instant love for me, maple syrup sweet on the front finishing with an almost garlic taste, it eludes words. 

The goods!

I get the feeling durian might be mildly poisonous but the Malaysians are so mad about the flavor that they look past it. The chief at Embun Pagi casually told me that the day before her daughter at a bit too much which caused her to vomit, as if no big deal, it happens all the time. Supposedly this is avoided by drinking lots of water, I did and it wasn’t an issue. Beer and durian on the other hand is rumored to be a fatal combo, literally. And while it may be urban myth (or countryside in this case) Durian has apparently claimed the lives of some elderly folks who have gotten overzealous with its consumption.

Durian have a potent aroma that is difficult to ignore, to protect those less than enthusiastic about them signs like this are common in hotels and public spaces. 

All this fuss and fervor for this flavor I thought, laughing inwardly after my first taste. But my novice palette was still getting acquainted, there is something strangely seductive about the flavor which grew on me with time. Each morning during my stay at Embun Pagi this newly crazed durian fiend could be found strolling beneath the high canopy in search of freshly fallen fruit….and as if to nurture my new craving, each morning the trees would reward my efforts. I'm hooked.    


No comments:

Post a Comment